Thursday, February 19, 2009

A Day at Windsor, Stonehenge and Bath


I wish that I could say I spent a day at each, but no I spent a day in a bus quickly jumping from place to place. If you want to see as much as you can for not much money, I say, a tour is the way to go. It leaves you wishing that you would have had more time in each place, but I’d do it over again in a flash.

Our tour first took us to Windsor Castle. Which is the largest inhabited castle in the world and, dating back to the time of William the Conqueror is the oldest continuous lived in as well. We were able to tour the grounds and see Queen Mary’s Doll house.

Sadly we weren’t able to see inside because it was closed to the public that day. It’s ok though. I still got to see St Georges chapel there where King Henry VIII and many other modern monarchs are buried.

I snuck a couple of pictures here, even though I wasn’t supposed to. The grounds of this castle were beautiful. I wish I could have done some more exploration. We even got to see a group of sentries marching through the lower.

Stonehenge was another item on my list to see. Again it wasn’t what I expected. I was shocked as our tour bus pulled up and we drove right next to it. I thought you had to walk a ways in to see it. It was surrounded in green fields with grazing sheep. There were paths that encircled it. Some very close, which I was grateful for.

We also got little head sets to learn about it, but sadly didn’t have lots of time to listen, I spent too much time trying to take the perfect picture with a dysfunctional camera.

It was a lot smaller than I had pictured, but I loved it and would see it again. I’d take more time to listen to its history. The main thing to know about this is, they don’t know what it was used for, but there are lots of theories.

We then got to see some of the picturesque English countryside. Wow was it pretty. The rolling hills with hedge rows blanketed the countryside as it gently folded its way down into the valleys were the city of Bath is located. Bath sits as many cities’ I saw in this trip do, upon the river Avon. It’s a wonderful city that’s buildings were rebuilt with limestone in the 1700’s.

The main reason for our visit to Bath was for the Roman Baths. They were used before the Romans, but the Romans built the temple and a bath around the hot springs in around 70 AD and were used by them until they left in the 5th century.

I loved visiting the Baths. It was kind of like a step back in time. There were people sitting in Roman style clothing and if you imaged hard enough, you could picture what it must have been like. Not many people were at the bath on this rainy day.
Sadly the top area was closed due to inclement weather. We got to take a head set and learn as we walked around the bath and the museum around it. Again I wish I would have had more time to learn about it, walk the streets of Bath and See inside the Abbey, But at least I was given the chance to see it and walk those streets.

0 comments: