Friday, February 20, 2009

Jaunt to East Anglia


I have a friend, Pam, that I grew up with that is living in England right now. She is in a town called Thetford, which is a little east of Cambridge. Mom and I just had to go visit.

We jumped on a train and sped up north to Cambridge. The weather wasn't the happiest that day, but Pam, Mom and I walked around and explored anyway.

It was really beautiful. We saw many of the different Colleges such as Kings College and St. John's College.

I wish we would have paid to go inside St. John's College. I tried every way to sneak into the grounds, but was thwarted at every entrance. Oh well.

We then went back to Pam's and Hung out with her cute little family, before heading off the next day to a town called Lavenham.

The town is famous for a couple things. One are all the crooked houses that line its streets. A popular fairytale was penned because of this crooked little town. It's called the Crooked House. Here it is to jog memories.

There was a crooked man who walked a crooked mile,
he found a crooked sixpence upon a crooked stile,
he bought a crooked cat, which caught a crooked mouse,
and they all lived together in a little crooked house.

One other thing this town was famous for is it is where Twinkle Twinkle Little Star was penned. We were able to see the house and the window where Jane Taylor wrote it from.

Soon after this visit we went up the road to Bury St Edmund and saw the extensive ruins of the abbey there.

It was crumbling away and you could walk all throughout them and climb on them.

One of my favorite things about these places were all the fun little markets.
They were all in the town squares and reminded me so much of Germany. I loved it and was sad it went by so quickly.

0 comments: