Friday, February 20, 2009

The Tube


So one of the things I love lots about London was its transportation system. I've lived in a couple of different places with public transit. A couple of big cities in Germany and Chicago.

To me London is all of those cities in one. Perfect. I loved the tube and wish that they would have better transit all over.

The stations and lines are set up so well. All of the Trains are color coded and named. There are signs all over the stations with the stops. It makes it really easy and convienent to find where you need to be. In this way in reminded me of Chicago.

The best part was how timely and often they ran. It made it easy to get where we needed to be and not have to worry if our train would be on time. We had a slow down one night and there was some construction on the weekends that closed some lines, that part reminded me of Chicago, but besides that it was great.
I loved how these signs were everywhere and they had speakers announcing to mind the gap. I only saw one gap that was big enough to fall in the entire time there, but it was pretty funny.

I did loose mom once. Thank goodness it was the third day instead of the first. It was during rush hour and everyone was of course in a rush. I got on the train and couldn't get off when I saw that she didn't get on. I mouthed through the window our stop, she nodded and came a couple minutes later on the next train. It made for good laughs later.

The state of the trains were also very good. In Germany the trains were all full of graffiti and in Chicago the more often than not smelled of urine, but in London the trains were clean and had very comfortable seats. The only thing I would complain about was the rush of the people. Everyone was running everywhere and I felt in the way very often.

2 comments:

Stefanie said...

Didn't you forget to take something on this trip?!?!?! Let me remind you.... she starts with a STEF and ends with and ANIE!!!

landvatter said...

You are too cute!! I miss you! It looks like you are enjoying life though!! How fun to travel!!!!! :) love and miss ya lots!!! xoxoxo