Thursday, February 19, 2009

Westminster Abbey


Westminster Abbey was another mark in my book. It well worth the 12 or so pounds I paid to get in. There is so much history in the Abbey. The statues, carvings and architecture is beautiful.

I loved how many of the old Monarchs were buried here. My favorite being Elizabeth I. My mother thought the place felt more like a crypt. I thought It was nice that they paused once an hour to say a prayer of the loud speakers and have everyone stop to pray or reflect.

I just loved being where so many people that had such an impact on history had been or were buried. To me, being seeing where they are buried is kind of like meeting them. Anyway, It was amazing. All of the Kings and Queens since William the Conqueror in 1066 had been crowned there. Wish I could have taken pictures inside. Oh well that’s what books are for.

1 comments:

Salmon Tolman Family said...

That second picture looking out onto the courtyard through part wall and part stainglass is the exact photo I wanted to take last year, but Josh said it was still considered illegal to do. I should've done it! I thought it was such a cool photo op, and I'm glad that you took it!!!